Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Rental House is Listed!

As of Friday night, our student rental house went live with photos on the web! Our realtor (JC) went a little nuts as he was given control over the final details. More new carpet. Air-conditioning! A new toilet! All new doorknobs! New smoke detectors replaced. He knows how to make things happen! He even brought soap dispensers and towels and shower curtains for the baths.

But, I was a little behind on my responsibilities for the yard. I was not ready for a Friday listing! I worked all Friday afternoon, but did not finish the weeds in the corners of the backyard. And the mowing (the husband's responsibility) was not done until Saturday, after the first showing.

Now, I'm thinking of a few flowers! Flowers, with no one on site to water were unthinkable in the 90 degree weather of the past weeks. But I have a leftover flat or so of begonias....

I "wasted" part of a day on a kind of birthday bash mid-week. The 7th annual bash did not get to Grand Haven, sadly. We went to a beer and hymn fest at the Knickerbocker. I put a video of that up on Facebook.

Color and chaos!

But the weekend was work, work, work. I worked on all four properties today (soon to be three!). While the weeds are winning on my uncle's property, the front perennial garden (above) looked pretty colorful today. And the church garden is quite spectacular. I had three helpers on Thursday morning and we whipped it into shape, removing all the daylily stems and other spent flowers. The phlox are in their full glory and the annuals are blooming their heads off. I emptied two bottles of spray-on Miracle-Gro on Thursday night to try to keep things going!

Phlox and friends!

While the husband mowed (quickly--with the little riding John Deere tractor), we spent Saturday evening together at the rental, weeding and mowing and even sprinkling the front lawn while we were there. I was thinking that after a hard afternoon's work a retired person should be having a fun Saturday night. We hired all the other stuff done on the house. Why am I pulling weeds under the dying back yard blue spruce on a Saturday night?? Could there be a more menial task??

 I suggested we (me) at least pick up a pizza on the way home. And I had part of a summer shandy in the fridge. And some Perrin Black. So the thought of pizza, Orphan Black (our new series) and a Perrin Black kept me going, pulling weeds (2 contractor bags full!) until 8:00 PM. And then it was finally couch time. And then bath time.

I surely wish my house was as clean as the rental house (but I am not ready to give up everything I own to make that happen). Every surface has been painted, even the basement (walkout level) floor--and every other room except the kitchen has been carpeted or has new linoleum. All the closets are completely empty and freshly painted. What a dream! And with air-conditioning keeping things cool, fresh and de-humidified! I want to move into a perfectly clean home!!

Maybe this house (the one I live in) will one day be vacant and ready for a new owner. Meanwhile this old house was a little chaotic. A new mattress, and a new 65-inch UHD television arrived this week. The empty boxes are still in the entry awaiting recycling. And a new bed frame waiting to be assembled sits in pieces in the living room.

Pardon all the exclamations! Perhaps I am a little overstimulated from all that late-night pizza and beer after a busy afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment