![]() |
| Reeds Lake garden by Rose's |
Birthdays come and go with less importance these days. It is enough to be alive and well another year. But I had another birthday last week and managed a little celebrating! The youngest daughter found the time to send an E-card from her company that does paperless cards and invites. She was hosting a party after work that day on her 24th floor deck and probably had no more than that moment to herself. The oldest daughter managed a long evening phone call in which we discussed important things like her dog's possible gender issues--which made us both giggle. I don't want to talk badly about her dog, but she revealed some incidents that involved some irresistible ears ... and some lavender oil!
And my oldest brother who is disabled managed a (rare) phone call. A day early. That was a bit of a surprise. I called him back a few days later on his birthday for a longer chat. Among other things, we discussed cars and the prudence of replacing the compressor on the old Subaru (which I had ordered ($$$$) the day before. He told me the clutch had likely failed. Who knew a compressor had a clutch? Back in the day he probably could have installed it for me.
On birthday evening with our family of three, I ordered the most expensive steak on the menu at the local Houlihans (after we found that the wait would be over an hour on the deck at Rose's). It took too long and was overcooked (still tasty) so they gave it to me for free! Three dinners, 3 diet cokes and a shared dessert for $38. And they didn't even know it was my birthday.
![]() |
| A gooey butter cake topped with salted caramel and ice cream |
I was taken out to a lunch downtown for a Reuben by O. and for a happy hour beer on the lake with J. I also treated myself to a large strawberry shake after my weekly dump run. That slid down so well in my hot (un-air-conditioned) Subaru.
Three nice, real paper cards and one new button-up from the hubby filled out the remembrances. Also, a new very large screen television was ordered (delivered tomorrow) for our viewing pleasure.
Life is good. Hopefully I will be cool for the rest of the summer. I heard it was 106 degrees in Japan. And humid. Whew! It was 100 when I was there back in the day--and I almost died on the trip from Tokyo to Mt. Fuji when the air conditioning failed in my host's car.
Apparently it is going to be even hotter than that in Southwest USA.
But enough about the weather. It has been raining here and the earth and flowers are refreshed. The rain alone would have been enough of a birthday present!


No comments:
Post a Comment