
The cold wave has broken!
I hunkered down during a fairly quiet weekend home alone, knowing that the snowy roads and cold temperatures would soon moderate.
The option of going out for a movie, concert or even a hamburger, never rose to the level of hibernatus interruptus-worthy, given the below zero temperatures.
We tape and watch the National Geographic series, Life Below Zero and always marvel at the resilience of the featured lone pioneers of subsistence living, making do in simple shacks built just below the Arctic circle in Alaska. Not for me! When I venture out to get a whole bird for my dinner, I get it from the deli. Gutted. De-feathered. Precooked. Easy Peasy. And we rarely put the thermostat below 70 degrees in the winter. Roasty Toasty!
I had a big/old TV rattling around in the back of my Subaru for the weekend--one of 4 extra televisions that we need to dispose of, especially now that we have that new one. It turns out no one wants an old (working) TV. I will hopefully find a place to recycle soon but we probably will have to pay dearly...
I was alone here. The husband was off with the daughter to see his Chicago Blackhawks play a losing, albeit exciting game. (A long time ago I went to a couple of hockey games at the United Center and it is something that is very different live (and loud!). They spent the remainder of the weekend with Chicagoland relatives.
They wore their jerseys (you have to) and other hawks paraphernalia. They were gifted with a cute photo of the two of them, posters and winter hats. And took home the above reusable cup.
I was really okay with being alone and primarily home. I did go to church and brunch--enjoying an omelette with bacon, cheese and mushrooms with J. at the Omelette Shop. Later I made phone calls to my two brothers living in Minnesota. I watched a dumb old chick flick movie late into the night (won't embarrass myself by naming it), and finally stripped down the Christmas tree. I needed to purchase a few more bins for proper storage, but again, the weather...
So Monday afternoon I emerged again to grocery shop and buy some plastic bins with red covers, now nicely discounted. I blasted 6 inches of snow off the top of the Subaru at the $2 self-wash place nearby. It was finally above freezing!
And Tuesday afternoon I went to see The Darkest Hour, which documents a few days in the life of Winston Churchill as he had just become prime minister and was contemplating how to deter Hitler. It was a bit dark and heavy--with very heavy drinking and smoking portrayed as well. The husband tells me he watered down his whisky ... I don't know that much about his personal life. Gary Oldham's performance just earned him a Golden Globe award. His fake jowls and rotund appearance, as well as his amazing performance, was convincing. (His makeup artist should also win an award). The 2:45 show time, the recliner chairs and the dark theater made for a relaxing afternoon, but no napping happened!
What a difference a few days can make. The nasty Arctic Blast has receded and predictions are for highs in the low 50's by Thursday--golfing weather! Except for the massive amount of snow remaining on the ground.
No comments:
Post a Comment