![]() |
| Amorphophallus titanum - (misshapen penis giant!) aka titan arum |
When I heard that Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park's titan arum (easier to pronounce and less sexy, lol!) plant was starting to bloom I immediately determined that I just had to see it! I had been following the progress daily on Instagram.
So Wednesday night the resident horticulturalist did a live broadcast after hours, declaring Thursday to be the day to see the plant and "sample" its famous aroma. The spathe was opening and the smell was beginning to emanate. And he was thrilled!
I stood in a long line for almost two hours to see this rare plant, native to Sumatra, on Thursday afternoon.
Was it worth it? I think so. (I also had to pay the senior fee of $11, since I don't have a membership this year).
The spathe was already beginning to close and the smell somewhat diminished when I photographed it around 2:45 PM. A volunteer suggested that if we wanted a proper whiff (she didn't say that) we should stick our nose up close on the left side.
Yup, rotting flesh!
This specimen has been growing from a seedling for 18 years! I have been following the Chicago Botanic Garden and they have had some success and failure, as I recall, with this plant. But now we have one blooming right here in West Michigan!
The 24-36 hour window of inflorescence (bloom), occurring at a convenient time for me was a must-do event. I had to go alone, parked far away in a full lot and stood in a long snaking line just ahead of a friendly woman and her adult son.
I did not know that there were (reportedly 5,200) other folks crazy enough to travel and wait in line for over an hour to see this plant. That's how many people passed by the stinky plant between 9-5 on Thursday! And there were a surprising number of children.
I suppose I should have taken a selfie with Putricia (a perfect name!) but I had hat hair and was hot, so declined the offer from the friends I made in line.
These children made a much cuter pic:
![]() |
| These children give some perspective to the size of this rare specimen. |


No comments:
Post a Comment