![]() |
| This hefty ballpark burger from last summer was NOT a nothing burger, lol! |
I have been contemplating what words/phrases I find most objectionable and worthy of banning in 2018.
This is an exercise I like to do every January as an alternative to making weight/health resolutions.
So here is what I have come up with so far. Some are new and some are re-iterations of old banned phrases.
I think "nothing burger" tops the list this year! I take burgers seriously and constantly search for the ultimate burger. So what is a nothing burger? NYC has Bare Burger, but I have never tried it. I have only had Shake Shake burgers and Umami burgers in NYC, because there are usually more exciting choices. But burgers of every variety remain a sacred part of my diet! I take objection to trivializing them in the phrase nothing burger. Let burgers be burgers! And besides, it just sounds stupid. Do you not concur?
So here is my list:
Nothing burger
At the end of the day
It is what it is
We need to have a conversation
With all due respect
I love the usefulness of "it is what it is" but the phrase can be very dismissive and empty.
And a couple of particularly personal un-favorite phrases:
That's racist - it seems everything can be construed to be racist these days.
Sounds like a plan - a rather non-committal response, really.
It was fine - a cop-out response when one asks for a short review of a dinner, concert, sermon, movie, etc.
I can't think of many more at this point in time--(also should be banned).
The vocabulary of the current POTUS is somewhat limited, but still, I like the word amazing, sometimes find things sad and sincerely believe there has been a lot of fake news this past year!

No comments:
Post a Comment