![]() |
| In the distance: the husband, floating in the Atlantic |
Three days lost.
Three rolls of Ultra Comfort Care Cottenelle gone.
(Have you noticed? That stuff is getting pricey! I can see why it is scarce in some countries).
It was a tough transition from sunny Florida to a barren brown and white Michigan.
One of us had recently been floating happily in the ocean near the Pompano Beach Marriot. One of us had been sipping a Sunday brunch Bloody Mary at the pool-side bar.
The transition might have been tolerable if the sore spot on one side of my throat (first noticed on the flight home) had not developed overnight into a full-blown raw and painful cough. And then into a raging cold.
Yes, we have just returned from (once again) dog-sitting the "royal" red golden for a couple of weeks.
When the children are young, they sometimes bring home nasty viruses shared by sick classmates. Well, our 40-something "kids" brought home with them a particularly virulent virus from Iceland, of all places. One would think the germs would all remain frozen there...
We stayed with them a few days following their trip, finishing off a few turkey dinner leftovers--just enough time for them to share their fresh Icelandic germs with us!
G. became so ill after taking us to the airport that he took to his bed for three days. I don't know how many rolls of Cottonelle he needed, but I had purchased a fresh pack while we were living there.
He dubbed this one the Icelandic Horse Flu, which gave it a certain exotic gravitas. A significant fever accompanied his version and I'm sure it felt like flu. Whatever it was, we won't get that one again, thankfully. Even if we travel to Iceland! I will never forget this Horse Flu thing, though!
You see, the highlight (really!) of their Icelandic adventure had been when R. made friends with a small cadre of free-roaming horses. She managed to get up close and personal and even reach out and touch one.
Tonight I think that I have finally turned the corner on this thing and offered the last soft roll to the husband, who seems to be sniffling and coughing a little himself.
I had enough energy to tap this post out on my smart phone while lounging on the sofa. I will document a few more things from the trip later, when I catch up a bit around here ... and get all that snotty toilet paper trash-bagged!
Tomorrow I hope to shower and wear real clothes and maybe even put on a bra.
The weather outside has been frightful (now dark and rainy), but I would not have chosen to stay inside for over 3 days!
I hope the Subaru starts after its long rest in the driveway.



No comments:
Post a Comment