Monday, June 25, 2018

Death and Taxes

As "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace" the "retired" life of mostly gardening and golf here in West Michigan mostly bumps along with a certain same-old same-old feel.

However, we are preparing our rental house, which we have owned for 20 years, for sale. So that is always on my mind, even though I am not doing much of the work. I took the only decent drapery rods home--just in case--on Saturday. I made a trip last night to put out the trash and recycling. I am cleaning up the debris from the recently trimmed bushes. I had to "sign off" on everything else on the property. The last thing I took home before the drapery rods was two fire extinguishers--things you never want to use but presumably remain viable if they are not.

And I have mixed feeling after 20 years of ownership! Will I feel badly if I drive by and the lawn is not mowed? Our neighbors have been frightful ... no more!

Even as we hope to collect profits from the sale of the house, we face taxes--one of those two unavoidable realities of life.

And in other news, people keep dying (some in their sixties!), reminding me of how brief life can be!

I was not a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain, but I did watch when he visited a country I was interested in. Like Colombia. But it is always sad when someone feels the need to commit suicide. And Kate Spade ... I have her purse!

Impacting the Fox News crew this week (and me) was the death of Dr. Charles Krauthammer. His life story is so remarkable! And he had become the leading conservative intellectual columnist and commentator in the country, reminiscent of others before, like William F. Buckley, Jr.

Krauthammer was appreciated by all who knew him. Brit Hume, who is a Christian, reflected that Krauthammer (a non-practicing Jew), did not share his (Brit's) faith, but couldn't imagine that God would not want Charles around! And I, too, would hope that he and his wheelchair sped through the pearly gates without judgment. But I have no assurance of that passage.

There are a few simple rules for entry into God's presence...

Speaking of "crossing over," if it turns out that heaven's rules are enforced as loosely as our country's border policies, well then maybe ... but it is not for us to say.

Crying babies "ripped from their mother's arms" at the border or unaccompanied youngsters housed in metal cages has been the media focus of the week. Nobody wants that!

What is surprising is that some of the same people who claim to care so deeply about children, have no problem with a woman's right to have her late term baby be "ripped" from her womb.

The hypocrisy of selective moral outrage!

Even as my life bumps along into what is now officially summer, the 24-hour news cycle moves at a dizzying pace.

The historic meeting of this administration (my button is bigger than yours) with the North Korean dictator (little rocket man) and the prospect of denuclearization, and the possible reunification of the Korean peninsula is almost forgotten as the issues on the southern border are once again front and center in the news.

My escape to Netflix was further stressing, even as we finished the second and last season of Dr. Foster last night! I couldn't wait to finally get to the end, after all the trauma! But no spoilers...

Time to get back into the gardens to enjoy the happy surprises I find there, as each new lily opens with a gorgeous forgotten color!


No comments:

Post a Comment