Tuesday, March 27, 2018
Some Days Good Stuff Happens
My last post was about spring cleanup and the opening day at the free city yard waste facility. I actually mistakenly put that up on the gardening blog--and it really belongs there. But if you want to find out how I get rid of all my spring debris (how exciting!) check it out here:
https://agardeningrose.blogspot.com
We are advised (by the Bible ... and therapists, and friends) that it is good to "count your blessings," to approach life with an attitude of thankfulness.
So yesterday morning began with the appearance of a small white bloom from an orchid which I have neglected (but not killed) for a little over three years now, since the day I took 2 orchids home from my Aunt V's kitchen window following her funeral.
To see even a single bloom arising from the ungainly orchid leaves after all these years, and all these days of cold winter weather, is a sign of something ... it must be!
It warmed into the 50's yesterday, dry and sunny. (The husband golfed without doing too much damage to his knee). And I was "in the garden."
I pulled out the dusty Husqvarna mower that I purchased used from a neighbor who moved some years back. I don't think I ever used it last year. I brushed off the spider webs, filled it with fresh gas, and with one pull, it roared to life (with a little blue smoke).
I used it to mulch some piles in my yard that might contain sticks. I don't like to dull the blade on my newer mower.
What a joy that a neglected, un-serviced motor worked perfectly well!
Then after a break, I went to my uncle's property and starting working on the giant hosta/daffodil patch. After making some huge piles and picking up the larger sticks, I filled his old basic mower (which he bought just for me and my mulching) with fresh gas. That mower has remained outside, subject to the elements now for a few years, and I don't remember if I used it last year. Well, it took about 10 pulls and multiple pumps of the little red button that fills the line with gas, but it also roared to life and never killed.
So I mulched the dry piles into pulverized leaf compost. The old mower helped to reduce the pickup work for this old bag lady.
And then...
While I was resting up at home on the couch watching the news, there was an unusual, rhythmic knock at the front door. Thinking that it must be the husband, I opened the door wide to find a good-looking young man on the porch. "Hello, my name is Carl."
Carl bought a house last December, and is now my back fence neighbor.
Carl had a chainsaw in his pickup and was going to cut a fallen limb that was hanging into my yard. Yay!
I had a 20 foot and a 30 foot dead tree limb down in the yard as well. We paid him $20, which he reluctantly accepted, to saw them up, and he said he could use them in his backyard fire pit. I told him I could haul the wood away myself to that favorite dump site (now that it was in shorter segments), but he tossed them over his fence.
Never let a young man at your front door with a chainsaw go to waste!
He might just be our new handyman!
Today there is a light rain and it is not a good day for mulching. Or perhaps any work outside. My back hurt a little last night, but I felt like I was really getting my spring groove on around here.
And yes, I felt blessed by the "old things" that came to life once again, and the "young thing" who appeared at my front door to help.
It was a good day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Haha, glad that when you opened the door to a stranger with a chainsaw, it was the good kind! Nice that V's orchid bloomed too. :)
ReplyDeleteI know! But in truth, the chain saw was still in his truck, as stated in the post.
ReplyDelete