![]() |
| Elegant egret at Gatorland |
Florida in winter is a whole different world than West Michigan. Even though the jet stream brought arctic air way too far south for awhile (it was in the low 20's the night we spent in Atlanta), for the most part we were comfortable or slightly hot in Florida, leaving the Orlando area with highs in the upper 80's.
And the flora and fauna are so different. I can never figure out when the leaves are supposed to fall or if there is an optimal time to plant some annuals. I did plant some cilantro and oregano in the daughter's herb garden but Walmart did not yet stock any basil (my favorite) which is not very cold tolerant. I don't think I have any flora (or floral) photos from the trip, but of course, Florida is a haven for abundant fauna, including so many birds ... and of course, alligators!
![]() |
| Big Chester gets his own space at Gatorland! |
![]() |
| Albino gator! Who knew? |
Florida was a little messy in places this year. We witnessed hurricane damage in Naples and in the middle Keys. Browning from the January frost appeared on the trees here and there. As fast as things grow, the trees will soon recover, I am sure. It was especially messy on the edges of the roads in the middle of the Keys, where the hurricane hit hard last fall. I don't know how all the debris will ever be cleaned up. I would import a couple dozen chippers!
We needed jackets and sweatshirts and beach clothes for the trip, although I never took my swimsuit out and never thought to bring a beach towel or chair. We checked out the gorgeous beaches of Naples and Marco Island, and of course Miami Beach. The people I was with were not beach bums. The husband just had two skin cancer spots on his face removed and was certainly not interested in sitting in the sun. He did use his suit a few times, including on a last morning kayak jaunt with the son-in-law.
![]() |
| Naples beach birds |
I tried to sit out in the sun for awhile each day it was sunny, without sunscreen, to boost my Vitamin D levels and hopefully immunize myself against the viruses that once again are wreaking havoc throughout the country this winter. But we are pale, white, former northern-European mid-westerners, not suited to sun worshiping!
Without the freeze and thaw cycles which beat up our northern roads every year, the streets and highways in Florida remain smooth. The bridges are mostly quite amazing, especially in the Keys, where one is called the seven-mile bridge. The new bridge is actually 6.79 miles long, shorter than the original from the 80's.
And most of Naples ... so nice! So much wealth. So many places to live/retire/winter--clean and color-coordinated in similar shades of coastal-friendly colors.
The crumbling infrastructure of the US that we hear so much about is not so evident in southern Florida.
Miami Beach did have its mix of old and new. Some of the older hotels are crumbling a bit around the edges. Our room was dated, painted in shades of peachy pink that would not be tolerated elsewhere.
But the brick "boardwalks" of South Beach were pristine--filled with mostly the young and the beautiful, jogging and cycling. And a few homeless. A great place to people watch! We found a spot to park within a half block of the beach and then we sat ... and watched. Parking costs were metered and pricey in Miami Beach and Key West, but we were fortunate to find great spots for the beach, for our dinner at Yardbird and for our activities in Key West. No Ubers were needed on this trip!
There is a mix of lifestyles in the Keys, as well, but we also avoided the whole nightlife/bar scene there, competing on the streets of Key West in the daytime with older white folks (the worst, lol--like us, perhaps), spilled out from the three docked cruise ships. The husband's cousin couldn't help but notice and point out the lack of diversity.
We took the requisite photos at the southernmost point of the USA, like good tourists:
There is certainly more to do than we did in Key West if you want to shop, drink, or rent a boat. We did browse in at least one shop. The husband purchased a new t-shirt to replace the black polo he had chosen that morning, which proved to be too hot. I approved the choice of a pretty turquoise color, so he blended right in, lol, with the tropical island hues. I wish I could share the photo of him looking up the skirt of the giant woman statue in front of the museum--wearing his new turquoise t-shirt.
(Wow. Turquoise has a lot of vowels! Also Sequoia. And Iroquois. Glad to have spell check!)
So we are happy to be home at last. Almost all the clothes are washed. All the stray Golden (Red) Retriever hair clinging to our clothes has been washed away into the sewer system. We live in a pet-free zone here. Our suitcases are wiped down and closeted.
It is raining. Dismal. Grey. Dirty. Barren. I washed the car in the mild winter rain, trying the Rain-X option for the first time. The snow is almost gone.
Home is where your stuff is, and we have a lot of it! I was missing one black sweater after our first hotel in the Atlanta area. I found it when I emptied one of the husband's suitcases. I was so mystified by its disappearance for the month. In Naples I bought a new Skagen watch, sunglasses and a pair of capris that are (sadly, for now) one size too small. The husband acquired that pretty new t-shirt. I have a cute Coke bottle from Colombia for my collection that I took back from a dresser drawer, since we had plenty of safe space in the car and no weight limits.
Otherwise, we really are too old to collect souvenirs. (I have to keep reinforcing that in my mind.)
I am throwing out an old duffel bag used on the trip. A net gain of space ... I think!
![]() |
| Hobbes the Costco dog models husband's new Salt Life T. |






No comments:
Post a Comment