Saturday, September 29, 2018

A September Day at our Great Lake

A calm late September "wine o'clock" lake

I arrived at the lake in time to leave for dinner at Clementine's in downtown South Haven. I was ready for a casual low maintenance night with the girls (K. and M.) at the cottage, but I threw on a little lipstick and was good to go for a late Monday night in South Haven. I succumbed to my default choice--a burger and a draft beer. It was a little loaded (the burger) and not-so-little delicious:




After returning home, I persuaded the girls to watch the movie Book Club. It is well done, but not nearly as laugh-out-loud funny as I had remembered, having previously seen it in a theater with J.

After the movie, everyone was still sated, and sleepy. It was very quiet at the lake house and we all slept long and well.

In the morning, after scrambled eggs and coffee, we hiked on the beach (which is currently missing sand) to a new public access point and then through the forest back to the cottage. Just to be sure, I washed my ankles with soap upon returning, even though I didn't spot any poison ivy on our trek through the woods.

A flight of  samples at "Three Blondes Brewing"--the  Dutch owner has three blonde daughters!

Then we went back into town. We bought Honey Crisp apples and other goodies at the Dutch Farm Market. I shared a beer flight and an appetizer with K. on the patio of the brand new South Haven Brewery. And then we topped it off with a dip of ice cream at the historic (1916) Sherman's Ice Cream, which I have somehow never before had a chance to enjoy, even though it has always been a favorite stop for those travelling between Grand Rapids and Chicago.



We returned home via the scenic route and settled in for a view of a very placid lake (above and below), abundant sunshine, and a few bottles of wine! I brought along and shared a Joel Gott 2015 Pinot Noir which was left over (gifted to me) from the Tennessee trip. It was smooth and delicious and made me wish I hadn't shared! A review referenced strawberry, cherry jam and herbs with a scent of barnyard (oh no!) but I didn't distinguish all that!

Another shot of lake "placid"

Finally the predicted bad weather rolled over the lake, dampened our fire and forced us indoors for the night. I decided to stay another night and watch another movie. We viewed Something the Lord Made, from 2004, which was compelling. It was based on the true story of the first heart surgeon and his uneducated black assistant who performed a successful, ground-breaking surgery on a "blue" baby at Johns Hopkins in 1944.

In the morning the sun was returning, but the lake was still violent with crashing, angry waves. I took a short movie (which I won't include) just before I left, which captured the sound perfectly.


View from the newly constructed "perch"

It was good to see our Michigan Great Lake again ... both calm and wavy.

Our book club is reading The Death And Life of the Great Lakes by Dan Egan this month. It is well written so far, with very descriptive language, which I love. If it gets too preachy/environmental I will not be as happy with it, but those 5 Great Lakes are indeed a treasure, holding 20% (I just learned) of all the fresh water in the world!

Morning waves - crashing and violent!

No comments:

Post a Comment