Sunday, May 6, 2018

More of Summer ... and Tons of Tulips--at Meijer Gardens

Looking down the Cherry Tree Promenade

Day two of  "early summer" weather was HOTTER than predicted and yes, we flipped the switch to AC. The system wasn't working optimally (good to know before July) but it moderated the inside temps to tolerable.

As the week progressed, Meijer Gardens claimed on Instagram that the weekend was to be prime cherry blossom viewing in the Japanese Gardens.

However, by Sunday afternoon I found that the cherry blooms were past prime and blowing to the ground. I never seem to catch that fleeting optimal day ... but the tulips, early magenta rhododendrons and other blooming white trees were glorious.

View of Japanese Gardens from bridge

A walk in the gardens is always a good thing. There was construction happening in the main area and that is always unpleasant, with messes and re-routing.

But whenever I come I observe new things and always appreciate the abundance of plant life. And today, the beauty of another unfolding Michigan Spring.

Because it was Spring, there were still blooming daffodils, Lenten roses, frittilaria, Virginia bluebells, trillium and more than a few things I can't remember or name.

But the tulips were prime! Thousands of them. I wasn't surprised that Ian found a funky one to include in the children's garden:



But nary a tulip in the Japanese gardens!

The cherry trees in the Japanese gardens are growing. The plantings around the pond are still "leaning in" and the enormous rocks remain (duh) in their strategically placed prominence.

I sat on one of the many benches and used the selective focus on my new camera phone:


Early rhododendron--PJM?

And I tried out the slow motion movie option--without much success--waiting for the tulips to wave in the wind to activate the feature.

I always say hello to the horse, observing some new detail, listening to the observation of children or watching the poses people strike under his hoofs. He is one great horse!




How would you like a huge rock in the middle of your backyard? It would probably look odd, but here it works:




Yes, I took myself to the gardens today. I set my own pace and stopped to photograph without complaint! Next time go with me. It is a lovely place for a Sunday afternoon walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment