Wednesday, January 3, 2018
New Year 2018 Ushers in Cold Arctic Blast
When a storm is headed for the East Coast all other news ceases to exist!
I was in Princeton New Jersey once during a February snow storm (pic above). I will never forget how the city was paralyzed for days. All the area airports were shut down as well and I was stuck on the beautiful Princeton campus for a few days.
I hear NYC schools and probably others all along the coast will be closed tomorrow. I'm guessing daughter M will work from home. Her office in Manhattan closes when the schools close. They are calling this storm a bomb cyclone, whatever that is. I read that it is a real meteorological term. It combines two already frightening words. I always thought polar vortex sounded scary enough!
Here in Michigan we are more prepared for snow. We tend to drive big vehicles. We have plenty of snowplows and salt. And it takes a lot of (blowing and drifting) snow to cancel city schools.
I enjoy all the stories of struggle and hardship, though.
Even the grand dog in Central Florida, who is always hot and sprawled out on the cool tile floor is now enjoying a cozy bed taken out of storage, and tolerates the blanket tossed over him by his indulgent parents. The cacti etc, will have to be sheltered for a night or two, as possible frost has been predicted.
A friend currently in Hawaii brags of a "cold night" with a low of 67. I could handle that!
Now I hate bitterly cold weather as much as anyone, but I also hate myself a little for being wimpy about it.
It is winter. And it can get very cold. Get over it!
Still, not much rouses me out of the comfort zone of my warm house. Earlier tonight I realized we were nearly out of coffee (a minor emergency), so I donned a warm hat and my oldest Uggs and headed out. My Subaru has never failed to start, although it whines about it.
I forgot about the need for coffee until after 9 PM. By then the streets were empty. The plows had cleared away some of the fresh snow, but I was cautious to not slide into the parked cars that dominate our side streets. It was way too cold for salt to be effective.
The wind was still and the cold white silence was really quite beautiful. Eerily so.
I will watch the news again tomorrow to see how the coastal "snowflakes" are faring. I certainly don't wish any one harm, especially the homeless and pets who are more vulnerable to literally freezing to death. I just object to the over-hyping of the weather, when storms happen on the East Coast!
Meanwhile you can find me toasting under my new electric throw. Sipping hot tea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment